Monday, March 3, 2008

Sad...Will Miss Sugar Free Cookies

Well, I went to my doctor today. I'm eating carrots and vegetarian baked beans for lunch...normally I would just have tea and toast...or a ton of Chipotle, but the doctor told me he would prefer to diagnose me as diabetic. Full on, 100%. So, I need to watch it from now on. No more cookies, no more white bread. Only wheat options for me. And I need to actually eat healthy....grrrrr. I have one of those little prickly machines to test my sugar now. Anyway, my goal is to not have to take another pill or not have to have more shots. Gah, hate injecting now.

OH yeah, and he told me that sugar free cookies are not sugar free. They have sugar alcohols that metabolize into sugar, but at a different rate than regular sugar. I had NO idea.

Yum...carrots. Chomp chomp chomp.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Damn, that sucks! You should actually read the ingredients and see if you can have certain kinds. Surely they wouldn't market them as something sugar free for diabetics if it actually could HARM them, right? Hello, lawsuit!?

Anonymous said...

So, because I have something against doctors and never trust a thing they say without doing some research on my own, I had to go hunt this down:

The American Diabetes Association claims that sugar alcohols are acceptable in a moderate amount but should not be eaten in excess. Some people with diabetes, especially Type I diabetics, have found that their blood sugars rise if sugar alcohols are eaten in uncontrolled amounts.

Sugar alcohols are usually incompletely absorbed into the blood stream from the small intestines which generally results in a smaller change in blood glucose than "regular" sugar (sucrose). This property makes them popular sweeteners among diabetics and people on low-carbohydrate diets. However, as for many other incompletely digestible substances (such as dietary fiber), overconsumption of sugar alcohols can lead to bloating, diarrhea and flatulence because they are not absorbed in the small intestine. Some individuals experience such symptoms even in a single-serving quantity. With continued use, most people develop a degree of tolerance to sugar alcohols and no longer experience these symptoms. As an exception, erythritol is actually absorbed in the small intestine and excreted unchanged through urine, so it has no side effects at typical levels of consumption.
Some common sugar alcohols:

* Glycol
* Glycerol
* Erythritol
* Arabitol
* Xylitol
* Ribitol
* Mannitol
* Sorbitol
* Isomalt
* Maltitol
* Lactitol

LolaPeg said...

Yeah, everything in moderation. I just need to skip the cookies for a while anyway so I can get my number under 6. Otherwise he may put me on meds for it, whether it be pills or a shot.