Monday, November 5, 2007

Creating My Artist Statement

Okay, I decided to work through developing my artist statement in a quasi-public forum. I will be filling this in later tonight.

I am using materials from this site.

STEP ONE: Assemble the Ingredients.
1. Take five minutes and think about why you do what you do. Jot down short phrases that capture your thoughts. Don't worry about making sense or connections. The more you stir up at this point, the richer the stew.

How did you get into this work?
How do you feel when work is going well?
What are your favorite things about your work?

2. Make a list of words and phrases that communicate your feelings about your work and your values. Include words you like, words that make you feel good, words that communicate your values or fascinations. Be loose. Be happy. Be real. Think of these as potential seasonings for your stew. You don't have to choose which ones to use just yet, so get them all out of the cupboard.

3. Answer these questions as simply as you can. Your answers are the meat and potatoes of your stew. Let them be raw and uncut for now.

What is your favorite tool? Why?
What is your favorite material? Why?
What do you like best about what you do?
What do you mean when you say that a piece has turned out really well?
What patterns emerge in your work? Is there a pattern in the way you select materials? In the way you use color, texture or light?
What do you do differently from the way you were taught? Why?
What is your favorite color? List three qualities of the color. Consider that these qualities apply to your work.

4. Look at your word list. Add new words suggested by your answers to the questions above.

5. Choose two key words from your word list. They can be related or entirely different. Look them up in a dictionary. Read all the definitions listed for your words. Copy the definitions, thinking about what notions they have in common. Look your words up in a Thesaurus. Read the entries related to your words. Are there any new words that should be added to your word list?

6. Write five sentences that tell the truth about your connection to your work. If you are stuck, start by filling in the blanks below.

When I work with__________ I am reminded that___________.

I begin a piece by______________.

I know a piece is done when__________________.

When my work is going well, I am filled with a sense of _____________.

When people see my work, I'd like them to ________________.

No comments: