Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Big In Japan - Wabi-Sabi

The other day an artist on dA (more about him and his project in another post) told me that I could be big in Japan. Hey, that's a band name....not a very good band, but I digress. So, this guy told me that I would be a hero in Japan because I am a disciple of wabi-sabi. I had no idea what that means and had to Google it, although, I have heard that my work has a lot of Asian influence. Which also makes sense because one of my artist friends from Scotland, whom I have a great deal of respect for, studied with an artist in Beijing.

Turns out, I probably am following wabi-sabi, even if I have not done so consciously. Wabi-Sabi is actually two separate beliefs that have been brought together recently. It is an ancient Buddhist philosophy that represents asymmetry, asperity, simplicity, modesty, intimacy, and suggest a natural process. I have always related my work to nature and often try to depict decay and imperfection. There is a beauty in that kind of natural process.

Here are a couple of links to study, if you want:
What is Wabi - Sabi?
Wabi Sabi on Wikipedia

No comments: